Sunday 8 April 2012

San Francisco April 8th

Another amazing day ! Went looking for a Game Shop down on Jefferson St. and discovered it had closed down, but on the way back I passed a Sports Shop which had Rob's New York basketball jersey ! Bought myself an Oakland As cap along with the jersey, and then took the open-top ride (free as I had a two-day pass) to Union Square. Walked up Powell and came across a Gane shop, where I bought Baseball games for the PSP and PS/3 (having checked that they would work with English equipment).

Then I discovered a large DVD / CD shop - unfortunately the CD floor wasn't open as the relevant person hadn't turned up yet ! So I wandered down to the end of Powell St., where the tram ride down to Fisherman's Wharf starts. In the square a young man with an acoustic guitar and harmonica was playing songs in an early-Dylan vein. I went up to him and said I liked the song; I bought his CD and put $5 in his collecting case, and he played Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Allright" at my request. As he performed the song a surege of emotion came over me - the song is about saying "goodbye" to a relationship, and the words cut through to me as they tie in so much with stuff I've been processing while out here. I recommended that he should listen to Roy Harper, who isn't well known in America. I left him a note with the titles of some classic Roy albums together with my email address. It was so great to hear such a talented performer who is obviously in love with classic roots American music.

Went back up Powell and the CD floor was now open, and I bought six CDs there - Nick Lowe (2), Country Joe & the Fish, Roky Erikson, David Crosby, and Crazy Horse's great first album (the one with "I Don't Want To Talk About It" - as covered by Rod Stewart - on there). Then I rang my beautiful Shelagh and had a lovely chat about spiritual growth and her friends. How I look forward to being back with her and talking without worrying about my phone bill ! (already running at 400 quid according to Vodafone due to all the calls I had to make when my wallet was nicked - they say I should be able to claim some of this back).

Got back on the bus and went to Haight Street, Bought three more CDs in Amoeba, plus another Janis Joplin t-shirt in Land Of The Sun. Found a book on philosophy which will be an ideal present for Shelagh's eldest son. Then continued on the bus tour - very windy on the top as the weather was becoming more cloudy. Eventually got back to Fisherman's Wharf, where I bought a hat for Shelagh's younger son.

Had a wonderful moment this evening. I have made friends with a Grandmother / Mother / Daughter threesome from Maine who are here to visit family. They are all into their music, and we ended up singing "Get Together" by the Youngbloods together after I mentioned that the song is one of my favourites ! They are a lovely trio and we've had a couple of greats chats during the break. This is the sort of encounter which happens frequently in America and especially San Francisco - why are people so self-absorbed in England ?

I have had such an amazing time here - much better than if I'd had a car. Tomorrow afternoon I leave for the airport to fly home in the evening. I'm looking forward to the flight as I always enjoy long flights - you just indulge yourself with your entertainments as there's absolutely nothing else you can do. In the morning I will walk round Russian Hill, which has lots of interesting alleys, stairways (to heaven ?), and hidden gardens. Should be a nice peaceful way to round off the trip.     

No comments:

Post a Comment