Thursday 5 April 2012

San Francisco Thursday April 5th

I'm sitting in the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express in San Francisco. Loads more hassles over the last few days - Virgin completely cocked up the New York booking, I was unable to pick up my hired car here in Frisco despite Virgin in New York getting me to obtain a faxed "Certificate of Entitlement" in lieu of a drivers license (costing me time, frustration, and mobile phone charges), and my Emergency Credit Card still doesn't work despite me going into the Manhattan HSBC branch to get it activitated (got loads of cash though so not an issue).

But let's forget all that - and the work I'm going to have to do when I get home to get all this sorted out and some due compensation - and focus on the great things I've seen and done. One immediate point - the weather has been beautiful throughout.

Sunday 1st

After completing my previous blog I walked down to the Capitol and then to the Smithsonian Museum of Flight and Space. Amazing stuff - I saw the plane used by the Wright Brothers for the very first flight. I then went down to the Jefferson Memorial, the Rooslevelt Memorial, the Martin Luther King Memorial, and finally the Lincoln Memorial. I was struck by the majesty of the words and sentiments expressed by these great men. At the MLK memorial there's a long wall full of his quotes at various points and their mix of spiritual depth and passionate calls for action are so inspiring. The Lincoln Memorial focussed on the efforts incurred to keep the Union together during the US Civil War.

I am overcome by the depth of thought and idealism that the great politicians of this country have had. Apart from Nixon and Ford, every US president is streets ahead of any British PM except Churchill. Even Ronald Reagan had an authority which no-one in Britain can emulate. The US of course has its issues - lack of support for poor people, racism, treatment of Native Indians being a few - but it has a freshness and grandeur to it which gets me every time ! And, of course, there's rock'n'roll playing on the radio everywhere you go.

After that I walked back to the Hotel through the Georgetown shopping district, which was very pretty but a bit upmarket for an ageing punk rocker like me. Then had a nice evening at the hotel - hassles with HSBC at the end re them delivering a credit card which didn't work. Oh well, as John Fogerty says in "Travelling Band" (not to mention Peter Green).

Monday 2nd

To Dulles Airport for the flight to New York. Good conversation with other people in the van - a very interesting couple from Maine with whom I compared notes about working in London vs. Washington. Flight was delayed but very pleasant - it was a small Delta Airlines plane with raised tips at the end of the wings. Drive to hotel was 2 hours late but the driver was great - gave us a running commentary on where we were going as we drove through Queens and then across the East River into Murray Hill. Then various Virgin / hotel hassles - I created such a stir that they gave me a free drink ! Then quiet night in hotel (on 8th Avenue and 44th Street) and a quick walk round Times Square.

Tuesday 3rd

After sorting out the hassle re my Room Booking at the Virgin Welcome Breakfast I walked down to Bleeker Street (Greenwich Village) and bought some CDs in "Bleeker Street Records". I then walked down to the Financial District at the southern tip of the island and saw the World Trade Centre reconstruction work. Walked down Wall Street - so this is where all those *****ers who have wrecked my savings and pension plans work ! Not quite as grand as the City Of London in my view, but fascinating nevertheless. Went down to the East River and looked across at Brooklyn, before going into a MacDonalds for a meal. Was regaled there by a young black girl who was into her R'n'B music (the modern dance stuff, not what I call R'n'B but there you go !) and had a great voice. Went back via the subway and read in my room with a carton of wine for company. Still a bit stressed from all the agro, but a great afternoon nevertheless. Wine is a strange drink - I finished one carton and felt like some more, so got another small carton. Having drunk that I suddenly started feeling seriously plastered; it's as if there's a "tipping point" which, if exceeded, takes you right over the edge !

Wednesday 4th

Seriously hungover, but this soon went with all the hassle. Spent the morning with HSBC trying to get my Credit Card to work (a waste of time) and then it took me an hour trying to confirm the time for the pickup to JFK on the 5th. Wrote letter of complaint to Virgin demanding compensation - apart from the complete balls-up of the New York logistics, they just haven't been of any help to me with my lost wallet. So didn't get started on what I wanted to do until lunchtime.

Wandered uptown on Broadway and found a great CD shop and bought a few things. Talked to a nice couple about the merits of Joe Perry (Aerosmith) as a guitarist. Then went into a Sports Shop looking for Rob's jersey, but they didn't have the right size. Walked to Central Park West and the Dakota Building and had my photo taken at the site of John Lennon's shooting. Went into the Strawberry Fields area in Central Park, listened to The Beatles on my MP3 player, and reflected once again on what a terrible event that was. John Lennon was the best singer I've ever heard, wrote some of my very favourite songs ("Strawberry Fields Forever", "Rain', "Norweigan Wood", "Working Class Hero"), and was a great humourist. The bed-in for peace was a brilliant surrealist stunt.

Then I read in Central Park and phoned my sweetheart Shelagh. It was so lovely to hear her voice, and I've found someone with whom I feel closer than I've ever felt with anyone. It is amazing that just a few months ago I was travelling across America on my own not knowing whether I'd ever have a female companion, and now I've found the love of my life ! So hopefully this will be my last solo trip for quite a while, and I've got so much to look forward to now. (Oh I forgot - still got to finalise the divorce settlement).

Came back up Madison Ave and looked for a Sports Shop with no success. Will see if I can find the shirt in Frisco (although am having to survive on cash only so I might not be able to afford it). Had a Korean meal in a side street which was very tasty - spicy chicken, rice, and a clear soup. Then back up Sixth Avenue, across to 8th and then back to hotel.

Thurs 5th - Flight to Frisco

I loved being in Manhattan and went to most of the places I wanted to despite the hassles. However I was glad to leave as always; two days in that madhouse is quite enough for me. Flight went smoothly (on United Airlines), although the bloke next to me kept coughing all the time and so I couldn't have a doze. Arrived at SF Airport, went to Car Hire place, and was met by Virgin rep who confirmed that I could not drive a car in California without a driving license. So all the hassle I went to on the advice of Virgin in Washington to get something faxed from the DVLA was a complete waste of time ! At any rate, Virgin paid for my lift to the hotel, and I shall really enjoy my four days in Frisco on foot.         

No comments:

Post a Comment