Tuesday 17 September 2013

September 17th - Minneapolis

Spent today in the local area. Had breakfast at Al's, which is a little shack seating 14 people on 14th Avenue. It was delicious, and the owner was quoting Leonard Cohen lyrics. The guy next to me had come in from Washington, and had been delayed yesterday by the naval shooting. I then drove to the Mall Of America, the largest mall in the US, and bought a pair of jeans and some trainers.
I then had some fun with the satnav while trying to reach St Paul. It took me to a park on the outskirts, so I stopped there and had lunch. I then drove along University Avenue to the East, and returned to park the car at the hotel before walking into Minneapolis. Once there I visited the Mill Museum, which I really enjoyed. They took you right up the tower in a lift, stopping at various floors to explain the process. It is highly treacherous since flour can explode ! There was an observation area right at the top which gave you a great view over the Missisipi. They also showed a brief film on the history of Minneapolis.
Returned to the hotel via the Deli, where I said goodbye to the friendly proprietor. Upon my return it took me an hour to check in for my flight tomorrow, firstly because their computer was dead slow and secondly because the Delta system was not finding my reservation. I had to ring Delta, sitting through their various IVR menus and trying to stop myself swearing at it. Then I completed the check-in via my Tablet. I would have been lost in this place without it, so the purchase has proved its value.
Musically I listened to the radio as I drove around this morning. There was a good post-punk programme on, and then some classic hits, the best being "25 or 6 to  4" by Chicago and "Travellin' Band" by Creedence. I then played a bit of US Kaleidoscope from my MP3. Really enjoyed them - eclectic and original.
I had loved seeing Minnesota, especially the visit to Duluth yesterday. It really is a beautiful place and worthy of being Bob Dylan's birthplace. Now for 'Frisco ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment