Wednesday 18 September 2013

September 18th - to Frisco

Spent today travelling from Minneapolis to 'Frisco. Started with breakfast at Al's again, then packed up and left the hotel at 10:30. Had a lot of hassle finding a garage near the airport to fill up. The satnav directed me to a place on the ring road - however it was on the other side of the road and you weren't allowed to turn left ! So I went round the one-way system again and eventually found another place. After that I got sorted ok and read an article about Jerry Brown in "Rolling Stone" while having lunch. He is the Governor of California and has rescued the economy with a combination of fiscal toughness and enlightened initiatives on health, education, and infrastructure dvelopment.
The flight took 4 hours but, of course, my clock is now two hours back as it's California time. I landed in 'Frisco on schedule - as you fly in you go very low over the sea, and the runway is surrounded by water on all sides. I have flown into here three times now and it's always amazing. For most of the last hour of  the flight all you see below you is rocks and mountains, and you only see a built-up area when you are on the descent. California looks very narrow from the air.
My hotel is on Stockton Street, near Union Square. The room is very high-tech, and it took me a while to work things out. Found a nice Deli just up the road where I got some beers and a fresh sandwich. Tomorrow I will go down to meet the Virgin team at Fisherman's Wharf and plan my excursions. It's great to be back in this magic city. No more driving now so I can really relax.          

No comments:

Post a Comment