Friday 20 September 2013

September 19th - Frisco

Walked down from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf to have breakfast at Denny's and then attend the meeting with the Virgin rep. Arranged a tour into Marin County for the afternoon and then a two-day pass on the open bus tour for the following two days. For the rest of the morning I stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf area, where I saw some sea-lions squawking, swimming, and fighting in a confined space of water just outside Pier 39. The weather - unusually for round here - was very bright and sunny.
After lunch I queued up for the coach trip and was a bit peeved at having to wait in the hot sun for half-an-hour. Eventually the coach turned up and off we went. We drove down Lombard Street to Golden Gate Bridge and then over into Marin County. We turned off Highway 101 onto Highway One, and the views were spectacular as we climbed the hills. We stopped for an hour at Muir Woods, which had some huge Redwood Trees with wide trunks which stretched up nearly 300 ft. The area was very peaceful and I would never have driven there on my own, so it was well worth paying for the coach.
On the way back we stopped in Sausalito. This is a small town by the shore which is one of the most expensive places to live in the world. Fleetwood Mac recorded the "Rumours" album here, gorging on cocaine while they sang about their various broken relationships. Otis Redding wrote "Dock Of The Bay" there. Then we drove back and I was dropped off on the corner of Lombard and Fillmore. I walked uphill along Fillmore - good exercise in 'Frisco - to find the cinema I was planning to watch a film at.
I saw a film called "Äfternoon Delight", which was a slightly raunchy marital comedy / drama - a sort of film version of what I imagine "50 Shades Of Grey" is like. On the way out a couple of middle-aged ladies remarked that it wasn't as "earthy" as they were expecting - I dread to think what they usually watch ! Maybe I should write a book about the Pay and Grading review at work called "50 Grades Of Pay". Anyway, the film was quite amusing and the cinema facilities were excellent.
Caught the 38 bus straight back afterwards. Quite an active day !        

No comments:

Post a Comment