Wednesday 10 September 2014

10/9/14 - Washington

Took me a while this morning to sort out my lift to the airport tomorrow. So I didn't leave the hotel until after 10:00. I walked to the "hop on/off" pick-up point in Georgetown and then caught the bus into the middle of town. I got off at the Smithsonian Museum of American History and then walked round there for an hour. The examples of the development of American transport were fascinating, but I was most affected by the section on the War for Independence. Going round this section I got a very clear sense of the development of that conflict and how it was resolved.

I then had lunch outside and walked to the Jefferson memorial. The sun had come out and it was a lovely afternoon, the best patch of weather so far. The Jefferson memorial has four quotes on the walls inside it, all of which are stirring. I have so much respect for that man.

I then walked on a bit and sat and read for a while by the lake. The view here was amazing - right back towards Washington Mall. I then visited the memorials of Roosevelt (FDR), Martin Luther King, and Lincoln. I have visited these before (in 2012) but was stirred anew by the inspiring quotes displayed. The long wall upon which the various sayings of MLK are displayed is awe-inspiring. An incredibly great man who stood up for love in the widest sense as the only way to overcome darkness and conflict. 

Following that I had a long bus journey back to Georgetown via the evening traffic, stopping for hal-an-hour at Union Station. Musically I started the day with Ty Segall's "Sleeper" and then played the Byrds' classic "Ÿounger Than Yesterday" on the return back. I particularly enjoyed the great David Crosby songs on the latter.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment