Sunday 14 September 2014

14/9/14 - LA

Drove down to San Diego after breakfast and a 'phone call. The drive was very easy - straight down on I-5 - and the scenery was hilly in parts and quite flat in the  middle of the journey. For a good while I was driving alongside the Pacific Ocean, which was awesome. When I arrived in San Diego I parked on 4th Avenue / F Street and walked round the shopping area.

Initially I found loads of cafes but few shops. However I eventually found a shopping mall which had a Macys and other high-quality shops. I found a good bookshop and bought a couple of novels, and also ascertained that there were no CD shops in San Diego. Appalling ! So I made my way back to the car park and drove down to the coastline. There was a large aircraft carrier there which has now been refurbished as an entertainment complex. I managed to get a few pictures while the car was stuck in traffic but there wasn't a ready opportunity to stop and get out.

On the way back I went East along Freeway 8 trying to find a CD shop which the girl in the bookshop had directed me to. However I was unable to find it, so I carried on north to LA. I stopped at a Rest Area to take some pictures and then again at Anaheim to fill up. Then it was back to the hotel for a quick swim in the open-air pool.

Loads of music of course - Johnny Winter and the New York Dolls  on the way down, and two more Martin Newell CDs on the drive back. I enjoyed the Newell the most and the Dolls the least. I seem to be very much in a "song" mood as opposed to outright rock'n'roll.

I am glad to have seen San Diego and it is an attractive city right on the Pacific coastline. It is also a very important centre for the US Navy. So concludes the last full day of my trip.      

No comments:

Post a Comment