Monday 15 September 2014

15/9/14 - At The Airport

I'm writing this from LA International airport. There's just a couple of hours now before I board my flight, so after finishing this I will read my book, get my duty-frees, and prepare to board. The duty-free shops have declined since I was last here in October 2011, so there really isn't much to buy except Jack Daniels and wine. Time was when every major airport had book and CD shops, but not now. That's the impact of the web for you.

This morning I had a leisurely breakfast, packed, and then went shopping in the locality of the hotel. I bought some trainers and jeans at reasonable prices. I then went for a swim in the hotel pool before checking out of my room and driving off. I set out very early for the airport because if I'd left it later I'd have got caught in LA rush-hour traffic. That meant that I was through Security by half-four, giving me lots of time to kill until boarding at just after 9. Still, that's better than being caught in a jam and risking being late.

Until now I've occupied myself with reading, having a beer, and then a pizza. Only a couple of hours to go now before boarding.

The final CD I heard in the car was Martin Newell's "Number Thirteen". It has been great catching up with his stuff on this trip.

A year ago I wrote from San Francisco airport that that would be my last USA trip. This time, having completed some unfinished business in Washington and LA, I mean it. I think I've got the US thoroughly out of my system now, and am really looking forward to being back in England.   

No comments:

Post a Comment