Saturday 1 October 2011

The Day Before

Well it's Saturday evening and I've just about got everything sorted out now. I still can't quite believe that I'm going to do this ! However if there was ever a time for me to do something like this then that time is now.

I'm off out tonight to see the remarkable Embers (see http://www.theembers.co.uk/), who have been such an important part of the "adventure" this year. They have great taste in covers - Tom Petty's "American Girl" is a special favourite of mine - and they also write very melodic songs with evocative lyrics which are easy to relate to. Ants is a brilliant frontman and strong singer, and Steve's guitar work is very shillful and varied. Feel sorry for him when he plays acoustic solos on Hendrix songs though ! It will be great to see them tonight on my last night in the UK for a month.

Tomorrow it's the bustle of the airport and then the eight-hour flight to Boston. I love airports, even more since I've been living alone - the excitement and enthusiasm is infectious. Hopefully I won't catch any infections myself - I've been dosing myself up with Vit "C" for the last few weeks in a (hopefully successful) attempt to ward off the office bug. Three of my team had chronic colds a week or so ago, but I seem to have survived unscathed. The flight will be very relaxing - I've a good book and an aisle seat. Couldn't be better (apart from the appaling food) !

The plan is to rest up for a day in Boston and then hit the road on Tuesday. I don't know what car I'm getting yet - I had enough trouble getting the travel agent to commit to them supplying a car with an MP3 adaptor ! I've been to Boston before and it's not a typical American city - it has more of an English feel to it. As well as the American history there, it was also a key growing point for the folk movement in the early sixties which (when fused with rock via Bob Dylan and the Byrds) propelled late sixties' music to glorious heights  Then on Tuesday I head off in the direction  of Chicago, where the real action starts. 

OK, I'll sign off now to make final preparations, have a shower, and then go out.   

1 comment: