Tuesday 11 October 2011

Tuesday 11th Nashville

What a day ! Spent all day in Nashville, and had a fascinating three hours in the "Country Music Hall of Fame". It's cooking on gas ! Learned all about the history of Country Music, saw one of Elvis' Cadillacs plus loads about Hank Williams etc. Discovered a great singer I'd never heard of before - Reba McEntire. Bought loads of CDs and a book, plus t-shirts for me and one for my daughter. What an amazing place ! This is why I came to America and travelled this way.

Tried to walk back to the hotel but realised there was no walkway over the interstate. So had to call a cab, which arrived within minutes. Things work in America - if you did that in Horsham you'd be lucky to get one at all. Had real southern Fried Chicken for lunch - delicious, and a nice change from the usual on-the-road burger. Nashville is very quiet - there wasn't much traffic or many commuters around. A pleasant change from the battering you get in London. Also Tennessee people are very polite and friendly. 

Tomorrow is another driving day, when I head for Memphis. I stay there three nights and will be soaking up all the Elvis stuff. Then I head for Austrin (Texas) and another three nights in what is a legendary music town. Janis Joplin came from there along with the 13th Floor Elevators, Doug Sahm, and others. After that I'll have c. a week to drive the 1300 miles to LA !

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't expect there to be this many blog entries! Up to date now. Your excitement and enthusiasm really comes across; I'm so glad the adventure is living up to your expectations. Exhibition trips like this, often bring out the best in a year.

    ReplyDelete