Saturday 22 October 2011

Saturday 22nd - nr. Grand Canyon

Drove from Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon (mid-way through Arizona) today. This was the most scenic drive of the holiday - beautiful mountains, rocks, and a variety of trees. When I came off Interstate 40 at Flagstaff to head for the canyon the views were astonishing - forests, mountains, and clear blue sky. Naturally the battery on my Panasonic chose today to conk out, so once again my trusty Blackberry came to the rescue. It's a good thing I got that camera cheap.

Accompanying this I had on a 12-CD set of various Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young out-takes and  live takes given to me by my friend Jamie from The Embers (see my first post). This was the perfect accompaniment - their playing and harmonies are magnificent and their songs very hearfelt. I am increasingly coming to appreciate Graham Nash's songs - they are very genuine and straightforward and full of honesty and vulnerability. "Teach Your Children" is a very wise song, and "I Used To Be A King" and "Simple Man" are perfect fare for divorcees. Neil Young, of course, is out on his own; probably the very greatest talent in rock music, even eclypsing Dylan in my view.

To cap it all I got a text from my son saying that Palace won at Ipswich and are now third ! It is hard to capture my feelings about this day - it was so overwhelmingly amazing that I need to time take in what I've experienced. I did get a bit jaded in the afternoon with all the driving, so it will be great to spend tomorrow walking in Grand Canyon Park.

P.S. Still got the cold - the sore throat has eased off and now it's just a nose cold. Just a minor irritant, and nothing that a beer or two won't sort out.

No comments:

Post a Comment