Friday 7 October 2011

Friday 7th Chicago

Spent the day walking round Chicago. Started with a good hearty breakfast, then caught the Blue Line train into the downtown area called "The Loop". I got a card for $14 which gives me unlimited rides on the bus and subway for three days. My impression of the Chicago suburbs riding in was that they looked very much like London - they didn't have the "shanty town" feel of the New York suburbs, nor the elegant architecture of San Francisco.

Once I got off I was immediately latched onto by someone who wanted to give me directions but also clearly wanted money. After a few mins I managed to shake him off for $5 (he asked for $20, but I'm nothing if not a businessman !). I didn't stop for any other beggars, of whom there were many. As I went along I noticed that Ray Davies is playing here in November - would have been great to have caught him as the Kinks are big favourites of mine.

I wandered down to the Grant Park area and the harbourside, and then came back and had a delicious "Chicago Hot Dog" for lunch. I sat right in the corner of the bar. I then went in search of Rob's Chicago Bulls shirt, which I found in the second shop I asked in. I then took the Red Line out to Clark/Division and from there made my way to Lincoln Park. Once there I took pictures of the statue of Abraham Lincoln and then carried on to First Avenue Beach. Since it's over 80 degrees today there were plenty of people on the beach - had I bought my shorts I would have swam in Lake Michigan. Instead I sat down in the shade and read for a bit, and then returned back. Bought a "Rolling Stone" and a Beatles mag in the supermarket on the way back to the hotel.

Chicago's skyscapers are every bit as imposing as Manhattan's, albeit it's nothing like as crowded. Oh yes...last night in the bar I got into the typical "Englishman Abroad" bit of trying to explain cricket to an American ! I attempted to use as many Baseball parallels as possible, and I think he got the idea ! I do enjoy watching American sports on the telly, especially when I'm over here. Once I'm back in the cold of an English November I shall be relying upon ESPN America to keep me warm at night !

Overall it's totally thrilling to be in one of the great American cities. Tomorrow I will go to the 'magnificant mile" area, which looks interesting. One disappointment - I haven't found a decent bookshop yet. I do like to look round a good bookshop, but since Borders and Barnes and Noble closed the US appears to be bereft of them. Maybe everyone uses Kindles now..now that's a depressing thought (although I must admit I have one myself !).     

No comments:

Post a Comment