Sunday 23 October 2011

Sunday 23rd - Grand Canyon

Spent today going round Grand Canyon Park. Drive to the Visitors' Centre, then took the bus on the Blue Route and then the Red Route. Stopped at a viewpoint called "The Abyss", which was stunning - you could see the Colorado River right at the bottom, and there were huge layered red rocks. Then I walked on the Green Trail to the next bus stop, pausing at various viewpoints. Popped into the food centre for lunch, then went back to the centre and took the Orange Route bus. This went East, and I looked at some more viewpoints there. Good thing I remembered to charge up my Panasonic last night ! Caught the bus back, then went to the Rim near the visitors centre and stood at a couple of outcrops there. Left at five and now I'm in this Internet Cafe writing this !

The views were certainly stunning as advertised, but after a while I found it a bit monotonous - to me one set of steep rocks starts to look very much like another after a while ! So the day was a welcome resting time for me after three days of hard driving, but I wouldn't want to come back. I'm just not that visual a person - I'm more exctied by cities and music/political history. Also the place is cynically exploited for tourism - my hotel is very expensive, yet doesn't have all the facilities that the cheaper motel chains have.

Just before writing this I checked the football results - amazing Man City performance ! Pleased to see that all the Man City players I've got in my fantasy side played and that Aguero (my captain) scored. I haven't touched the team since I left the UK and only made minor adjustments before that, so it will be interesting to see how I've done. Was worried when Aguero was injured the day before I left, but he seems to have been playing recently. With Chelsea losing, Man City look well set at the moment.

Tomorrow I leave here and have two days to get to LA. Not sure where I'm going to stop tomorrow as I need to get across the desert, but don't want to go into the Spaghetti Junction of LA freeways quite yet. My cold has been alive and well and bothered me a bit during the afternoon, but I feel better now. I'd like to throw it off before I hit LA as I want to check out loads of places there.   

No comments:

Post a Comment