Wednesday 5 October 2011

Wednesday October 5th - Sandusky

It's 18:30 and I am in a Super8 Motel in Sandusky, which is about 60 miles west of Cleveland on Interstate 90 on the way to Chicago. These motels are brilliant - under $50 per night and really nice rooms. The weather is really hot at the moment, and I'm ahead of schedule. The fireworks have started and I'm not even warmed up. Tomorrow I arrive in Chicago, where I am staying for three nights. Although I am enjoying the driving, I am looking forward to having a couple of days to just stroll round the city, browse the shops, and generally not drive ! This was always going to be the longest part of continuous driving in the whole trek.

Musically I have been treating myself to an extended session of The Band - prompted by "Look Out Cleveland" (which I drove through this afternoon). You couldn't wish for a better soundtrack to a drive through America near the Canadian border (four of the group, of course, were Canadians). "Northern Lights Southern Cross" is a late-period gem - a much under-rated record. "Acadian Driftwood" and "It Makes No Difference" are up there with Robbie Robertson's finest. I might be highly literal tomorrow and play "Chicago Transit Authority" on the way to Chicago. From there it will be Chuck Berry and Elvis all the way as I head south !

Off to the bar now - next entry will be from Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment